June 15, 2021
Nurses play a key role at the ‘point of prescribing’ for specialty medications, where they can be instrumental in navigating choppy waters for patients.
Patients can face a variety of hurdles in the process of starting medication treatment for complex or chronic conditions, according to a recent survey of more than 400 nurses that focused on getting patients started on necessary medications.
- Conduit of information: A majority of nurses report being the ones responsible for compiling and transferring patient information back to prescribers, particularly in regards to:
- Prior authorization requirements
- Patient medication history
- Plan formulary details
- Medication research: It’s not uncommon for nurses to spend time researching the formularies of different health plans, to smooth the way for a patient to get approved for medication treatment.
- PA headaches: Nurses in the survey expressed frustration with the time needed to complete prior authorizations, both within the prescriber office and between the offices of the prescriber and a specialty pharmacy.
Power of 2 Promise
Here at BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy, we have developed an entire care model based on streamlining the path for getting specialty medications from the prescription pad to the patient’s door.
Let us partner with your office as the ‘fast & easy’ way to get your patients the specialty medications they need to start and stay on therapy with BioPlus referral forms.